Saturday, July 05, 2008

a slow, sure trip up the metaphorical himalayas



I'd like to think that's what I'm taking. What in actuality I'm taking is a slow trip partway up the Himalayas, and then getting a craving for M & M's and running back down to Katmandu, and then remembering that I like watching Gossip Girl and going back to my living room, and then thinking about how cool it would be to go up the Himalayas, and then packing a bag, and then looking at the bag a few minutes later and thinking, "What's this bag for?", and then unpacking it, and then remembering, and then swearing and repacking it, and putting some M & M's and a People magazine in the backback, and then pulling the People out and sitting on the floor and reading it, and then throwing it away, and then zipping the backpack and going out the door, and getting on the plane, and heading up the Himalayas, and stopping to take a lot of photographs of myself at base camp, and looking at them and wondering if I could just tell people I went to the top, and also deciding I need a bang trim, and running back down and getting one, ET. CETERA. AD. INFINITUM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so very much loving what you are writing about spirituality. I come out of a Unitarian Universalist background that is heavily flavored with Eastern Religious traditions. I always struggle with "Monkey Mind" with meditation as well... The scattered ADD-like yammerings of my brain trying to avoid settling down to do ONE SMALL THING instead of 15,000 little distracting things.

I also find The Divine a much more welcoming, embracing, compelling, all-encompassing concept than the name of God. God to me feels personified. Feels limiting in some way that the Divine encompasses. When I think of God, there feel like there are edges, finitude, and otherness to me. The Divine feels yummy and warm and feels like everything, feels like I could be a part of it.

I love the quote by (I think) Voltaire about God creating man in His own image, and man in kind, returned the favor. Naming the Holy Other "The Divine" instead, somehow feels like it transcends the limitations of our own visage and imagination.

My religious practice, such that it is these days, consists of always looking for The Divine, in all the corners of this crazy beautiful world. To actively seek it out and to find it in all of us and all that surrounds us.

(OK, now I have written so much, I will cross post this to my own blog)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I will not only cross post it, but I will also add a bunch of stuff to it too... :-)